Monday, July 26, 2010

Ready, set...go





So here it is, the winding down of my trip to France. I have so many stories stored inside my tiny hummingbird brain, I thought this may be a good way to let some of them out. I hope I make you laugh in this effort. That is my only goal here.
Since I'm late in starting this, I don't think a daily diary method will be all that interesting to read so I will just
let my thoughts unfold and hopefully it makes for some interesting reading.


We have had a merciless heat wave in the first few weeks of our visit here to Roquebrune Cap Martin, France. The kind of heat that makes locusts cry. So today is a heavenly 70 degrees with minimal humidity and cloud cover. This is why I agreed to return to Death Mountain with Dennis. In
our first week here he took me walking
up to visit The Chateau. He assured me that it was a mere 30 minute walk, that took one gradually uphill......


Lies, all lies.
It was 100 degrees, 100% humid and full high noon sun. Thus returning to Death Mountain was not even making the top 50 of my list for the rest of our visit here. However, I fell in love with a tiny handcrafted
baby owl in a ceramics shop and Dennis and I had no cash on our first death march to the summit. So return we must. Of course, my new husband assured me that we would return in a car. Lies, all lies.
Today dawned cool and cloudy so my prince turned to me and said, "want to go buy that owl?" And I fell for it.... Oh yes I did. So climb we did and I have to say, knowing what was going to happen did make it easier. I didn't bring a potato or shovel and I survived to tell the tale. It really is lovely there, with a thousand year old olive tree and views of the entire beautiful area coastline.

Such an amazing view.
After locating said owl and having it wrapped by the designer himself, we wandered out, up and through the tiny streets and staircases that go in every which direction.

Every way you turn there is a set of stone steps going up or down, a shop to discover, a random cat that needs some attention and a beautiful view to drink in.

This time we stopped at a tiny restaurant nestled along those stone streets and steps, had a glass of white wine and shared some wonderful crustless quiche. Poor Dennis, I think I ate more than my share. I can't be serious around good food.

Then we climbed back down the mountainside. Not a bad morning after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment