Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I feel the love

The days are already flying past.  Already into day five of  my return to the South of France. Of course I nap a lot. Is it the jet lag or is it my way of relaxing? Perhaps it is my body's way of recovering from all the eating and drinking. Even the expresso can not keep me awake mid-day. Come night however, I am wide awake and my mind is spinning from the days events and the plans ahead.

So I reflect tonight, at 1:15 in the morning, about all we have done in the past few days.  Already this visit feels more intimate and better then before. I loved France from the moment we first met, yet now she feels more like an old friend welcoming me back after an unwanted absence.

No doubt these feeling stem from the many invitations we have already enjoyed from friends old and new. It seems like there is always someone to pencil in here or there to our calender, the people are so loving and generous that they want to share and share all they have with us.

We enjoyed the love of our brotherhood tonight in the French speaking congregation of Menton. It was difficult to leave the building because of so many people waiting to talk to us. And it is a small group in comparison to where we meet in the states. The language barrier does not feel like a barrier at all here.  And I noticed that the love was not just for us, the American visitors from last summer, Dennis and his American wife. No, they showed love to each other too.  Much kissing and laughing and hugging, from each one to each other one.  I was really taken back by it.  With the closing Amen we were surrounded in our seats and it was a great length of time before I could even walk away from the row I was standing in. People I'd met before and others that were complete strangers were smiling and hugging me. It was truly a beautiful experience. We were even given gifts by the children of a family we have grown found of. On our last visit they hardly knew us but reached out in generosity to us, giving us a car to drive while we stayed here for weeks and having us over for a lovely meal with their entire family. This time they are learning to speak English just to be able to talk to me when I visit. I feel ashamed that I have failed them in learning anymore French.  I promised them by next visit in the Summer, I would be able to communicate better with them. But every little effort brings smiles and laughter.  Such a loving group of people.

But France in general has been loving and welcoming.  Even to me, someone totally foreign and lost here.  I can say Bonjour and Merci and a few others and that is all.  I can understand some conversations through listening closely and watching body language and facial expressions but I am far and away lost in this language.  I look American, speak like an American and laugh like a chipmunk.  Yet, I am met with genuine good natured laughter, smiles and kindness everywhere I go.  Strangers are polite and helpful. Young and old speak greetings just when passing on the street.  If we need a question answered or Dennis stumbles over a word or thought, we are treated with patience and tact.  This country has had the worse reputation but not my last visit nor this one have I met a rude person or an unkind French citizen.  This is a lovely place to visit and the people I met are a huge part of why I enjoy being here so much. I feel ashamed when I think of how I may treat foreigners when I am home. Lesson learned.

I also must share that I love the pace here.  I love that business are closed for 2 hours for lunch and that no one feels guilty about it.  NO ONE.  It is the way here.  Relaxed and alive.  Even when we are rushing it doesn't stress me as it does at home. Why is that? Cooking dinner on the tiny stove in Dennis' mum's kitchen is really enjoyable, the food tastes better here, even when I cook it.  I am mystified as to why these things are. Perhaps I am just infatuated with this place. Its magic holds me tight in it's grasp. Even the roaches in the kitchen and bathroom after dark aren't rattling me as much this time.  It's true, love is blindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment